Search

 

St Mary's Cathedral

St Mary’s Cathedral Website 

Former Masters of the Music of St Mary’s Cathedral 

 

St Mary’s Cathedral is the mother church of the Diocese of Edinburgh in the Scottish Episcopal Church.  The Cathedral is part of the world-wide Anglican communion and has very close links with the Church of England, as well as its Presbyterian neighbours (the Church of Scotland).

The Cathedral was built between 1874 and 1879, using plans drawn up architect Sir George Gilbert Scott.  The Chapter House and western spires were added in 1890 and 1913 to 1917 respectively.   The style of Scott’s design for the Cathedral was inspired by the early Gothic churches and abbeys of Scotland. The central tower, spire and the twin western spires are such prominent features that they may be seen from miles away. The enormous weight of the central tower is carried on four main pillars and spread through diagonal arches into buttresses in the outer walls, leaving unusually open views inside.

The Cathedral supports a busy programme of groups and activities which are open to all. These vary from Sunday groups for children and young people, through groups which meet in the week for prayer, study, cultural and social activities, to various outreach and fundraising activities for charities both local and worldwide.

Pianist in St Mary's Cathedral